Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15]
Off topic: How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?
Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:50
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Nitpicking Jul 6, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I am a European, not an imperialist.

Most Europeans were imperialists, too.

[Edited at 2016-07-06 16:29 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
English to German
And... Jul 6, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

...my clients are mainly in Europe ...

So are you and so am I

One of the problems has always been that the Brits think Europe is somewhere else and that Europeans are "them" (rather than "us"). It's a psychological inability to accept European-ness.

[Edited at 2016-07-06 15:49 GMT]

I am not a Brit! I mean the clients are in the Euro-Zone, but maybe I have adjusted to this way of putting things.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Thomas Jul 6, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Don't worry, your bill wil come. Somebody has to pay for brexit!

When you accept to be paid in foreign currency, you know there is a risk/chance of exchange rate fluctuations, Brexit or not. Historical fluctuations of the pound, the dollar and many other currencies have already been much larger than the moderate drop of the pound relative to the euro after the Brexit vote, and the pound has already been lower in the past few years than it is now.

When I quote rates in foreign currency, I always do it with the caveat that said rate is only valid as long as there are only minor exchange rate fluctuations. That you didn't do that has nothing to do with Brexit but is a normal part of dealing with foreign currency.

There are always pros and cons involved in exchange rate fluctuations. You may find, for example, that it has become cheaper now to buy certain goods and services in the UK rather than in the Eurozone, as your euros now buy more in the UK than they did before.

If this is meant as an answer on my input (you quote me), then unfortunately you haven't understood me correctly. I am way beyond the exchange rates here. I am talking about the price the British population has to pay for brexit, and they are going to pay dearly. This foolish decision doesn't come for free!

[Edited at 2016-07-06 19:01 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
That's just your personal opinion Jul 6, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If this is meant as an answer on my input (you quote me), then unfortunately you haven't understood me correctly. I am way beyond the exchange rates here. I am talking about the costs of brexit for the UK, they are going to pay dearly, and with they I mean the British population. This foolish decision doesn't come free!

That's just your personal opinion; you don't have a crystal ball to see if the UK will gain or lose. The EU has been going in the sink for many years now and has the worst economic performance of any developed region in the world, so I personally think it's very wise to cut loose from it before it's too late. The millions of unemployed young people in southern Europe are already paying dearly for the foolish way the EU is run. But I have noticed that people in favour of the EU don't seem to care whatever disasters the EU is causing.

Time will tell if this was as foolish as you think, and you have no rational evidence to demonstrate that this decision should be foolish. The Brits as well as the Danes were promised doom and disaster if they rejected the euro, but their countries are doing better than the Eurozone as a whole, and both Norway and Switzerland are doing well outside the EU, so I don't listen to all the EU doom-mongers who put on the same scare record every time there is a decision to be made.

But what we personally think is quite irrelevant to this topic. The pound has dropped a bit, and the markets have moved a bit, but that's all until now. No Armageddon yet.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
You are right of course Jul 6, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If this is meant as an answer on my input (you quote me), then unfortunately you haven't understood me correctly. I am way beyond the exchange rates here. I am talking about the costs of brexit for the UK, they are going to pay dearly, and with they I mean the British population. This foolish decision doesn't come free!

That's just your personal opinion; you don't have a crystal ball to see if the UK will gain or lose. The EU has been going in the sink for many years now and has the worst economic performance of any developed region in the world, so I personally think it's very wise to cut loose from it before it's too late. The millions of unemployed young people in southern Europe are already paying dearly for the foolish way the EU is run. But I have noticed that people in favour of the EU don't seem to care whatever disasters the EU is causing.

Time will tell if this was as foolish as you think, and you have no rational evidence to demonstrate that this decision should be foolish. The Brits as well as the Danes were promised doom and disaster if they rejected the euro, but their countries are doing better than the Eurozone as a whole, and both Norway and Switzerland are doing well outside the EU, so I don't listen to all the EU doom-mongers who put on the same scare record every time there is a decision to be made.

But what we personally think is quite irrelevant to this topic. The pound has dropped a bit, and the markets have moved a bit, but that's all until now. No Armageddon yet.

But I don't think I need a crystal ball, it is just a matter of logic.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Nothing to do with logic Jul 6, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Logic is something completely different, for example 'if a > b and b > c, then a > c'.

If the EU's economy had been steaming ahead of everybody else, it would have been easier to follow your reasoning, but it's the exact opposite.

But you seem vindicative: if people don't think like you, they should suffer. You're still in the EU, so why is it such a big deal for you that others no longer want to be?

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry Jul 6, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Logic is something completely different, for example 'if a > b and b > c, then a > c'.

If the EU's economy had been steaming ahead of everybody else, it would have been easier to follow your reasoning, but it's the exact opposite.

But you seem vindicative: if people don't think like you, they should suffer. You're still in the EU, so why is it such a big deal for you that others no longer want to be?

But I think you can answer that question for yourself, or else you have absolutely no idea what is on stake.

[Edited at 2016-07-06 19:52 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jul 6, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

But I think you can answer that question for yourself, or else you have absolutely no idea what is on stake.

If I understood why some people are so enamoured by the EU while its economy is crumbling, I wouldn't ask.

What is at stake is people's freedom to decide their own future, and that's something the EU's mandarins and their henchmen hate, just as in any totalitarian system.

All you do is pour bile on those who dare to think differently, without a shadow of rational arguments. Instead, you’re in complete denial about the major problems the EU is causing, and you haven’t explained how to apply your ‘logic’ to the millions of unemployed in the EU. 50 % youth unemployment in Greece and 25 % in France, for example. What do you think is at stake for them?

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Too Bad Jul 6, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If I understood why some people are so enamoured by the EU while its economy is crumbling, I wouldn't ask.

What is at stake is people's freedom to decide their own future, and that's something the EU's mandarins and their henchmen hate, just as in any totalitarian system.

All you do is pour bile on those who dare to think differently, without a shadow of rational arguments. Instead, you’re in complete denial about the major problems the EU is causing, and you haven’t explained how to apply your ‘logic’ to the millions of unemployed in the EU. 50 % youth unemployment in Greece and 25 % in France, for example. What do you think is at stake for them?

Leaving the EU would solve those problems? See all the the populists, big mouth, no answers, they even leave the stage after making havock = disaster at the end. Furthermore, we had this discussion before (have a look). (See the speech of Frans Timmermans today in the European Parliament).

I will have a look at the attick, I think my grandmother has left me a crystal ball. If I find it, I will sent it to you.

[Edited at 2016-07-06 22:26 GMT]

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:20
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's keep the discussion on-topic Jul 6, 2016

Hello,

This is just a reminder to keep the discussion on-topic, on how you think the profession will be affected by these events. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The youth vote Jul 6, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
50 % youth unemployment in Greece and 25 % in France, for example. What do you think is at stake for them?

And yet the British youth vote was to stay in the EU.

Let's hope that they, including the percentage among them that have aspirations to become - or already are - translators, find that they have a good future ahead of them. We can't really say it will be better or worse, without that proverbial crystal ball. But all Brexit voters will have them to answer to if things get worse.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Youth Jul 6, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
50 % youth unemployment in Greece and 25 % in France, for example. What do you think is at stake for them?

And yet the British youth vote was to stay in the EU.

The British youth unemployment is just 13 %. Spain: 45 %. Italy: 39 %. Portugal: 30 %. I would like to see an EU vote in these countries, but of course, they are not asked.

The misery the EU is causing is not good for any profession, translators included. Just one example: the more unemployment there is, the more benefits are needed, and the more taxes and social contributions those who do work have to pay. That makes it difficult to make a decent living out of translation in certain countries hit by the EU's self-inflicted crisis.

If anything, I think the freedom from the EU's bureaucracy will end up making it more attractive for translators and others to make a living in the UK while the ideological euro keeps tearing the Eurozone apart, and that should benefit translators there. Why so much negativity? If the EU had been such a success, voters would have flocked to stay in. And when the EU and the euro finally come crashing down under the weight of all their contradictions and waste, the UK will have established a solid base on their own. They may need concrete barriers to keep translator refugees out from the collapsed EU.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:50
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Brexit and science Jul 8, 2016

Here is an insightful interview of the President of the Royal Society and Nobel Laureate Prof. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, who would be one of the key persons negotiating a new deal with EU on science and research post Brexit.

It throws light on how British science, and also science in the EU, would be affected by Brexit. It could contain useful information for science translators in bo
... See more
Here is an insightful interview of the President of the Royal Society and Nobel Laureate Prof. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, who would be one of the key persons negotiating a new deal with EU on science and research post Brexit.

It throws light on how British science, and also science in the EU, would be affected by Brexit. It could contain useful information for science translators in both the EU and the UK:

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/interview/venkatraman-ramakrishnan-explains-the-challenges-to-science-in-the-uk-postbrexit/article8820215.ece?homepage=true

[Edited at 2016-07-08 05:49 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »